Physical rehabilitation is also very beneficial to help maintain good function for patients with chronic neurological disorders, chronic arthritis, weight problems, or other musculoskeletal disorders. The therapy is provided by a certified canine rehabilitation therapist and utilizes an underwater treadmill, cold laser, acupuncture, electro-stimulation, manual manipulation and other specific exercises.
PHYSICAL REHABILITATION INCLUDES USE OF:
- Manual Manipulation
A variety of techniques are used to provide necessary movement of the affected area including massage and joint mobility acitivities.
- Underwater Treadmill
- Allows early intervention and quicker recovery times for animals post injury or surgery.
- Builds muscle strength and improves mobility without additional stress on the joints.
- Warm water assists in pain reduction and increases blood flow that aids in nerve and muscle healing.
- Allows older animals to exercise more effectively.
- Used for weight loss treatment and overall strengthening. Water viscosity creates resistance to the muscles, resulting in a great strength and endurance workout.
Underwater Treadmill video of AECC Rehabilitation patient, Zeus
Exercises using cones, balance discs, cavaletti bars, and other devices are used to decrease recovery time from injuries or surgery. Each rehabilitation exercise plan is developed specific to a patient’s needs and abilities as related to their condition.
- Acupuncture (Canine/Feline)
The use of acupuncture allows for additional pain relief for those patients recovering from surgery and those with chronic joint or spinal issues. Acupuncture is also used for nerve stimulation to aid in the recovery of patients with spinal/nerve injuries.
- Cold Laser
Cold laser uses the benefits of low intensity laser light. The low level irradiation penetrates the tissues reducing inflamation and inducing healing. Cold laser is routinely used to help with recovery related to a variety of surgeries and traumatic injuries. It is also commonly used to reduce the discomfort associated with chronic arthritis and spinal pain.
- Electro Stimulation
Electro Stimulation is a non-invasive method of inducing muscle contractions. It is used to help prevent or recover from muscle atrophy secondary to disuse or nerve injury.